• The Universiti Malaya (UM), Master of Accounting programme (MAcc) is a rigorous programme that seeks to equip students with advanced knowledge and strong foundations on theoretical concepts including analytical tools of accounting and its related areas. The aim is to prepare the students for the challenges being faced by accounting and business as well as academic world where robust analysis in research and practice is crucial and critically important.
• Courses are structured to provide a broad understanding of theories with related real issues pertinent in the broad field of accounting particularly pertaining to reporting and management accountability. Through a combination of lectures, case studies, written assignments, group project, presentations and class discussions, each student is equipped with the necessary knowledge and experience to understand, identify the issues and to formulate the necessary research strategy in order to address the issues.
• The pedagogies are aimed at optimising the efficiency of the learning process. Each student is required to complete a minimum of 46 credit hours of learning and research activities that cover various accounting related fields. On average, students would require 1½ to 2 years of study.
*This information will be used to intake semester 1 2021/2022 onwards
• The programme offers weekday classes from 6.30 pm until 9.30 pm and weekend classes from 9.00 am until 6.00 pm with the emphasis on quality teaching and student participation. The minimum and maximum periods of candidature are three (3) and eight (8) semesters respectively. It should be noted that any withdrawal from the semester(s) by a candidate will be counted as part of the duration of the programme.
• Courses are divided into two (2) categories: core and elective courses. In addition, the students are required to undertake a research dissertation in an area of their interest. The design of the courses and components allow the students to maximise their learning and develop the skills that are essential for their career development. Students are required to take a total of 46 credits as follows:
Applicants for the programme should possess:
• A bachelor’s degree (Honours) in Accounting or fields related to Accounting with a minimum CGPA of 3.00 out of 4.00 or accounting qualifications from any recognised accounting bodies;
• At least IELTS score 6.0 or TOEFL score 550 (paper) / 213 (computer) for international application whose first language is not English.
Note : A minimum of candidate maybe called for an admission interview to gauge specific skills / knowledge required for the programme
February and September
Before you begin the online application process, please ensure that you meet ALL of the entry requirements for your preferred degree. You are required to upload ALL original evidence in the online application. Incomplete applications will not be processed. The Faculty does not issue a conditional offer letter to applicants. The University processing fee is not refundable.
Graduate School of Business,
Level 4, Azman Hashim Building,
Faculty of Business and Accountancy,
University of Malaya,
50603 Kuala Lumpur,
Tel : 603-79673993/3811/3842/3974
Fax : 603-79673980
Last Update: 15/09/2023