• The Universiti Malaya (UM) Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) focuses on developing professionals with higher critical thinking skills in the field of business and capable of conducting academic research.
• This programme offers high-quality doctoral training to postgraduate candidates. You will be assigned an academic supervisor who will provide guidance on the formal specification of your topic, the structure and organisation of your thesis and the general direction of your research.
• To assist you in the transition to independent research and to help you acquire the necessary skills, you are required to complete a Research Method course and another additional course related to your area of research.
• The pedagogies are aimed at optimising the efficiency of the learning process. Each candidate is required to complete a minimum of 81 credit hours of learning and research activities. On average, the candidates would require three (3) years of study.
* This information will be used to intake semester 1 2021/2022 onwards
• The programme offers weekday classes from 6.30 pm to 9.30 pm with an emphasis on quality teaching and candidate participation. The minimum and maximum periods of candidature are four (4) and twelve (12) semesters respectively. It should be noted that any withdrawal from the semester(s) by a candidate will not be excluded from the duration of the programme.
• The design of the programme structure allows the candidates to maximise their learning and develop the skills that are essential for their research development. Candidates must PASS thesis examination and submit all related deliverables. In addition to this, candidates are also required to take and PASS a core courses on Research Methodology and elective course of their choice.
Applicants for the programme should possess:
• A master's degree and bachelor's degree in any field with a minimum CGPA of 3.00 out of 4.00 or its equivalent from a recognised university; and
• A minimum of IELTS score 6.0 OR TOEFL score 550 (paper) / 213 (computer) OR PTE score of 55 for the paper-based (Academic) for international application whose first language is not English.
A minimum of candidate maybe called for an admission interview to gauge specific skills / knowledge required for the programme.
February and September
Before you begin the online application process, please ensure that you meet ALL of the entry requirements for your preferred degree. You are required to upload ALL original evidence in the online application. Incomplete applications will not be processed. The Faculty does not issue a conditional offer letter to applicants. The University processing fee is not refundable.
Marketing, Alumni, and Career Unit (MAC@FBEc)
Level 4, Azman Hashim Building,
Faculty of Business and Economics,
50603 Kuala Lumpur,
Tel : +603-7967 3918
Last Update: 30/01/2024